Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekend of Events

As you all have previously read I was very busy this weekend with events. I am interning at City of Hope and this weekend was their 20th Annual Spirit of Hope Beach Ball and Golf Tournament. I worked both events and am extremely tired now.

The golf tournament had a great turn out of 270ish people! They played at the Whirlwind golf course at Wild Horse Pass. The weather was pretty warm, especially towards the end of the day, which lucky me was when I had to be outside handing out coolers to the participants.
In the morning I helped sell raffle tickets to the golfers as they were checking in, then while they were playing we drove around on the golf carts (one of my favorite things to do!) and sold some more tickets. There was a nice breeze driving around the course so we managed to stay fairly cool. The course was beautiful (aka open and not surrounded by homes like most courses I have seen), there were little critters all over the place I loved it!!! The best were the little prairie dogs! Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of them, I was driving and that would have been dangerous of course. I am a responsible golf cart driver, I even have my ASU golf cart drivers license :)

There was even a stream going through the course, SO beautiful!!!

At lunch I couldn't resist taking a picture of the enormous platter of veggies. It was kind of ridiculous how ginormous it was.

After being at the golf tournament from 4:30 am - 4:30 pm I had the joy of going back the next day from 9:00 am - 11:30 pm for the beach ball. I was pleasantly surprised with myself because I wasn't that tired and I lasted the entire day!

Saturday was actually a lot of fun. I got to see all of our hard work for the past two months come together. The auction items that I have been entering and keeping track of were spread out in a massive ballroom, all done up and bid on! I don't know how much we have made yet but I am pretty sure it was a LOT of money.

While we were setting up, I saw the hotel staff setting up the beer and I was amazed with how many different types we had. They said they received 42 different types of beer and they looked super cool for all lined up. I just wished I liked beer.

We had over 400 different auction items donated to us and some of them were SUPER cool! I took pics of some of my favorites. These aren't my favorite but I thought it was crazy how much Jack Daniel's stuff we had. This was just a quarter of it.
Little miss green m&m was one of my top items. It is what they sell m&m's out of in the grocery store. I think it would be pretty sweet to have in a game room!
This is part of the auction room to kind of give you an idea of what it looked like all set up.

This was by far my favorite item in the auction! It was the coolest Fat Tire Beach Cruiser Bike not available to the general public. They only give them to charities for auctions like ours. I was really hoping no one would bid on it so I could take it home. Nope it ended up selling for $750!!!!!
Another favorite is the 7up electric scooter. I would have given anything to have this as a kid!

During the event I was in charge of the raffle table again. I was paired with three high school boys that were volunteering and they were hilarious! They were some great sales men, let me tell you. They were totally working the crowd. At one point they were even singing to get people to buy tickets. It cracked me up and kept me entertained the entire night. It helped make the night go by much faster which was nice after being there for 12 hours.

Overall the night was fantastic and I left pooped. Friday and Saturday were two very long days and I was very happy to get to bed, but it was all worth it. In the end I know we made a ton of money for a great cause and we had fun while we were doing it!!! Now tomorrow commences the clean up....woohoo. Wish me luck.

PS I am graduating this week!!! Can you believe it?!?! I can't wait. It is awesome to think I will never have to go to school again! Now time for the real world.

Have a great night. Hope your weekends were more relaxing than mine.

1 comment: