Friday, January 29, 2010

I FINALLY went to the castle!!!

I have officially been in Alicante for exactly 3 weeks today. I can't believe three weeks have gone by already! It is semi pathetic though cause one of the most prominent things in the city is the castle and it took me three weeks to get up to it. It was partially cause the weather didn't permit it but finally Thursday I didn't have a ton of homework and it was a beautifully sunny day with just a little bit of wind so Mandy, Michelle, Britta, and I took a walk all the way up to the castle. It was so beautiful and excellent exercise so we decided to make it a weekly thing.


I felt like going up stairs was kind of a cheating way to start off a hike, but then we walked half way up and realized it wasn't cheating cause it was still pathetically hard for us. Haha we felt so lame when we were tired walking up stairs. All the more reason to make it a once a week thing.

We walked past this futbol field and literally everyone stopped playing, stared at us, and cheered and cat-called at us. It was incredibly hilarious and slightly embarrassing.

There was graffiti all over the place, on every rock, stair, and inch of the wall. Some was just regular graffiti but some like this flower were really pretty and interesting to look at.

I liked how this one was bright colors on a black background.

Still got a long way up...

We went up around 5:30 so the sun was starting to set and the moon came out.
It made for some really awesome pictures including this one.

They were supposed to make tired looking faces but Mandy was the only one who actually did. It makes it funny cause it doesn't look like she is faking it.
I think this was about the half way point.

This is a better one of Mandy. She looks like she is actually enjoying herself.

This is the guard tower for the castle. Michelle decided she wanted to knock on the imaginary door instead of getting in it like I wanted her too. I am glad it made for a funny pic.


So I have decided that this is my new favorite style of taking pictures and I am going to make it my theme for my Europe trip. I just think it is super artist and cute and will look pretty sweet framed next to each other.


Me holding up the guard tower.

We found a set of stairs going down to this little area and just had to go down cause it looked super cool and secretive.
Really I have no idea what it was for but it was a neat place to take some pictures.

The door was locked so it made it even more secretive and that much cooler.

There was also this tree that was made perfect to climb on so of course we had to climb it.

And since Mandy didn't climb the tree she decided to climb up under the bridge.

Still not at the top but it was at a level that had a view that was most definitely picture worthy.

Me and the ocean.

I like this shot with the moon better than the last one.

Mandy's friends made little picture people of themselves so that they could come with her and go everywhere she does on this trip so Michelle and Mandy wanted a picture with them on the cannon.

I don't know what all these flags are but they definitely made the castle legit.

I like this shot. It is the ruins of the old chapel that was there.

Britta.

Seriously?! Still not at the top yet....

I had to take this picture with the seagull it just looked awesome. I know realize that it looks fake but I promise it was a real seagull.

On the stairs that lead to nowhere. Seem kind of pointless but they made for a good picture.
When I looked at this picture after I took it it looked like Michelle was balancing on one foot cause her right foot was on a part that blended into the wall.


B-E-A-UTIFUL. I am super happy we came at sunset cause it made the pictures that much better.
The hotel we stayed at the first few nights is right on that pier.

I just liked the look of the bars, the stonewall, and the moss.


More cannons.

Sunset over Alicante

I want to go up one morning at sunrise to take some pictures. Cause I know that will be just as if not more beautiful.




I love this city :)


That big round open building is the bull fighting arena. I am super excited to go to a bullfight once they start.

I freaked out Michelle and Mandy by doing this. It wasn't really scary just a few 100 foot drop behind me, no big deal. Actually I was looking at pictures from another guy in our group and he did a handstand right here. Now that was just plain crazy. At least I am on both feet holding on with both hands.



When we were coming back down the city lights were beautiful.

On a completely different note for those of you who know me well you know my all time favorite drink is ginger ale. I don't know why it just is. So when I saw it in the grocery store I had to buy it cause I haven't really had anything but orange juice and water for the past couple of weeks. I was super excited to have it after the hike up to the castle but I was completely let down. Unfortunately they make soda different for every country and apparently ginger ale is Spain just isn't as delicious as it is back home. Oh well I guess I will have to keep drinking healthier drinks.

New classes start soon and I have been looking into different trips I can take on weekends and spring break so I will let you know what comes of those. Have a wonderful start to February!

3 comments:

  1. Okay we have two things to say: Number one, do not go up to the castle at dawn (or any other time for that matter) by yourself!! Number two: Are you crazy?! Why did you stand on that ledge Emily Suzanne Warren!!!! You freaked us out! Anyway great pics and nice post.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to figure out how to post myself. Let's see if it works this time. Sounds like a hard but fun climb. The castle looks really neat and the views, awesome. Do you know how old it is? And yes, stay off the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, Emily!!! I'm loving your tales of the adventures!

    ReplyDelete