Sunday, February 21, 2010

Baking in Alicante....hard but not impossible.

As I have mentioned before baking here is Alicante is definitely a hard task, but not impossible. Thank goodness it isn't impossible because I think I might die if I couldn't bake even one thing for 5 months. For those of you who know me know I L-O-V-E to bake, it is just something I enjoy doing and I enjoy being able to put a smile on people's face with baked goods.

As you know from an earlier post I have made Christmas Crack before here and it was a hit! I mean honestly how could it not be who doesn't love chocolate, brown sugar, butter, and saltines. I don't know anybody. So some of my girl friends and I decided to make it again. Thankfully Pepita is nice enough to let us use her kitchen. (which side note, I am so happy that Pepita lets me have people over to hang out and bake and such cause pretty much all of my friends are not allowed to have people over so if Pepita didn't allow it we would be in the streets hanging out) We ended up making two cookie sheets of christmas crack and chocolate chip cookies! Thanks to my mother I had chocolate chips for the cookies and a measuring cup. SO helpful!


Britta and Alex double teamed laying out the parchment paper and saltine crackers.
While Michelle chopped up the HUGE milka chocolate bar for the christmas crack.

The christmas cracked turned out really good, so good we ate half of a cookie sheet of it before we were done baking the cookies. The chocolate chip cookies didn't sure out as good because we didn't have a measuring spoon for the vanilla and baking powder and we put in a little too much. They still tasted fine but exactly like chocolate chip cookies.

I bought ziplock baggies at the grocery store the other day since Pepita has no such thing. I mean why would she need to keep food fresh and away from ants just for us? But since I bought some I was able to bring all my goodies to school and share with all our other friends and my teachers. My spanish teacher is pregnant and said she had been craving chocolate so I figured what is a better way to get an A than to bring in some chocolate! She tried the christmas crack and loved it. She had me explain to her how I made it and she wrote down the recipe so she could try it. She actually told me today that she tried it yesterday and it didn't turn out all that good, but her daughter loved it.

Since that I made a boxed cheesecake too which was just ok but my roommates liked it. I told them if they wanted me to make it for them again they can just buy the box and I will make it. I am nice but not nice enough to spend all of my travel money on baked goods.

Did I tell you guys I love to bake for people :)


No comments:

Post a Comment